Why Choose Cathedral of St. Raymond School?
|Home||About Us||Academics||Staff||Handbooks and Forms||Links|
|Calendar||News||Events||Athletics||Prospective Parents||School Speak|
- The Cathedral of St. Raymond School, as a member of the community of Cathedral of St. Raymond Parish, places faith development at the core of its existence.
- The message of Jesus is conveyed to our students as they actively engage in learning Catholic doctrine, worshipping together and serving a diverse society.
- Children at the Cathedral of St. Raymond School have daily religion class and attend weekly liturgy.
- All students at the Cathedral of St. Raymond School are members of a Faith Family; a multi-age group of children that work together as a family from the time a child enrolls at our school until graduation.
- The Cathedral of St. Raymond School strives to integrate service projects into the curriculum and Faith Families program.
- The Cathedral of St. Raymond School employs top notch teachers that are highly qualified and dedicated to meeting all learning needs within the general education classroom.
- Students at the Cathedral of St. Raymond School are given the tools to succeed in language arts, math, social studies, science and religion while focusing on social justice and citizenship.
- Graduates from the Cathedral of St. Raymond School consistently go on to be leaders at local Catholic and public high schools.
Award Winning Faculty
- Mrs. Virginia Baltz – Bishop Joseph L. Imesch Award for Excellence in Teaching Award Winner and 2010 Joliet Chamber of Commerce Great Teacher Award Winner
- Mrs. Ann Konzelman – 2011 Joliet Chamber of Commerce Great Teacher Award Winner
- Mrs. Aimee Schertz – 2014 Joliet Chamber of Commerce Great Teacher Award Winner
- Mrs. Stephanie Kaput – 2015 Joliet Chamber of Commerce Great Teacher Award Winner
At the Cathedral of St. Raymond School, we strive to meet all learning styles and needs in our general education classroom.
In addition to providing a multisensory curriculum, the Cathedral of St. Raymond School has a part time special education teacher, part time speech and language pathologist, full time social work interns, two reading teachers trained in the Wilson Reading Method, ALEKS math teacher and an RtI coordinator and problem solving team, all on site.
- Technology class provided for all students attending the Cathedral of St. Raymond School, three year olds – 8th grade where lessons include responsible digital citizenship, global collaborative projects, keyboarding, word processing, data entry, webpage development and other current applications.
- The Cathedral of St. Raymond School has a computer lab, utilized by all students, with computers, interactive whiteboards and other cutting edge technology equipment.
- One to one Chromebook program is currently being implement implemented throughout the junior high.
- All classrooms at the Cathedral are equipped with interactive white boards that teachers use to enhance daily curriculum.
- Two mobile Chromebook carts are used to bring additional computer labs right into the classrooms and put technology in childrens' hands.
- Children at the Cathedral of St. Raymond School are taught music, art and physical education by full time certified teachers in the art classroom, music classroom and large gym.
- Band and Choir are available for children at the Cathedral as elective activities.
- An annual Christmas Musical, Spring Musical, Art Show are presented for the community.
- The Cathedral of St. Raymond School has an outstanding athletic program with a rich history including the long running Holiday Basketball Tournament.
- 1st – 4th grade students can participate in an intramural basketball league
- Softball, Volleyball, Basketball, Cross Country, and Co-ed Volleyball are available for female students in 5th – 8th grade.
- Baseball, Flag Football, Basketball, Cross Country and Co-ed Volleyball are available for male students in 5th – 8th grade.
Extra Curricular Activities
At the Cathedral of St. Raymond School, we strive to provide activities and programs for all students.
Children at the Cathedral of St. Raymond School can participate in our athletic program, choir, band, Spanish club, chess club, art club, Student Council, yearbook, Boy Scouts, Brownies, and scholastic club.
Message from the Principal
St. Raymond Parish was founded June 28, 1917 by Archbishop Mundelein of the Archdiocese of Chicago in response to the needs of the increasing population on Joliet’s new west side.
Fr. Francis Scanlan, an Assistant Pastor of Holy Cross Church in Chicago, received notice of his new assignment on the morning of June 29, 1917. By midday, he was on his way to Joliet [archives note that he was driven in an automobile] to begin his first and only pastorate.
In November of 1917 ground was broken for the new church on Douglas Street. The church was completed and the first Mass celebrated on December 8, 1918 – the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
The school was also underway and the first 178 students were enrolled in September of 1918 under the watchful eye of the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate. Enrollment increased rapidly according to Fr. Scanlan, “because we had no better boosters than our 178 school children.”
The initial classroom space was quickly out grown and the school was expanded several times in the following decades. At Fr. Scanlan’s insistence, land to the north was acquired for playgrounds and future growth. Today the Cathedral of St. Raymond School has over 520 students enrolled in Early Childhood through 8th grade.